A special part of the Peggy V. Helmerich Women's Health Center @ Hillcrest is the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Infants hospitalized in the NICU often have complications of prematurity and health challenges from birth.
Their challenges are met with exceptional medical care and support with skilled and compassionate staff.
This Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is a 42-bed facility featuring a unique pod design with subdued lighting and sound, that enhances the developmental environment for infants, and provides privacy for families. This unit caters to a family's need for consistent care team contact and privacy with their infant.
Comprehensive medical care is provided by board certified neonatologists around-the-clock. The physicians utilize a team approach, with neonatal nurse practitioners and neonatologists working together to provide a comprehensive plan of care. This approach gives the infant and familiy continuity of care and communication.
The multi-disciplinary team in the NICU includes:
- Neonatal intensive care nurse practitioners
- Neonatal intensive care nurses
- NICU dedicated respiratory therapists
- Physical therapist
- Certified lactation consultants
- NICU Dietician
- Social service coordinator
- Dedicated neonatal pharmacist
- Maternal fetal medicine specialists
- Pediatric cardiology
- Pediatric neurology
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Pediatric urology
- 42 bed capacity
- Located inside Peggy V. Helmerich Women’s stand-alone building for easy access
- Located on the same floor as labor and delivery with quick response time for immediate needs
- Two NICU isolation rooms
- Parent-care transition rooms for families preparing to take their infant home
- NICU procedure room
- Private rooms for lactation consulting and expressing breast milk
- Service area for preparing stored milk and formulas for feedings
- Training room for "Baby Boot Camp," which offers infant care and CPR classes
NICU Transport Team
- A Neonatal Transport Team is available 24/7 to transfer newborns from other hospitals
- Arrangements for transfer can be made 24 hours-a-day by calling (888) 550-7337