Childbirth Education Classes
Prenatal classes offered through Peggy V. Helmerich Women’s Health Center at Hillcrest Medical Center are back in session. Classes at Hillcrest South are temporarily on hold.
In order to provide prenatal educational resources to our expectant parents, the following free online resources is also available:
- These birth stories and videos offer a glimpse into the birth experience and bring a sense of comfort and empowerment to patients as they prepare to welcome their baby.
If you have additional questions, please contact a coordinator:
Hillcrest Medical Center (HMC) Prenatal Classes 918-579-8033
HMC Lactation Support Line 918-579-8018
Hillcrest South Lactation Support Line 918-294-4239
Childbirth and early parenting classes are available through the Peggy V. Helmerich Women's Health Center BirthCare Services program. With three locations, including a regional option in Claremore, we are one of the premier childbirth education providers. We recommend that expecting mothers take childbirth preparation and baby-care classes before the birth of their baby. Taught by certified Childbirth Educators, the classes are designed to give accurate and useful information about labor, delivery and the care of a newborn.
Childbirth Education classes at Hillcrest Medical Center are held in the Peggy V. Helmerich Women's Health Center in the conference/education rooms located on the ground floor. A typical class session lasts two hours per week and applicable fees are per couple, unless noted otherwise. Class sessions are at no cost to Hillcrest patients. Please call the Prenatal Education Coordinator at 918-579-8028 to enroll.
- Tour of Helmerich Women’s Center This tour provides an introduction to BirthCare Services offered by the Peggy V. Helmerich Women’s Health Center. The tour will acquaint you with the process for pre-registration and admitting, as well as the variety of helpful educational classes. Hospital tours include the beautiful Helmerich Women’s Center all-private suites, the well-baby nursery and, upon request, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or NICU. Please call 918-579-8028 in advance to arrange an appointment.
- 4-Week Prepared Childbirth Series The Prepared Childbirth series includes four classes that are perfect for first-time parents. The classes cover all aspects of labor and birth, including vaginal birth, variations in labor, Cesarean birth, pain medication options, newborn appearance, postpartum, breathing & relaxation exercises, and comfort measures for many of the situations that can occur during labor.The fee is $60.
- Saturday Prepared Childbirth includes one class from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm that is perfect for first-time parents. The class covers all aspects of labor and birth, pain medication options, variations in labor, cesarean birth, newborn appearance, postpartum, breathing & relaxation exercises and comfort measures for many of the situations that can occur during labor.The fee is $60.
- 3-Week Childbirth Series Three classes provide valuable information on labor and delivery, pain medication options, Cesarean birth, and includes basic breathing & relaxation exercises. The fee is $40.
- Big Kids & Babies Big Kids & Babies is a one-time session created especially for big brothers or sisters. This class promotes positive feelings about the new baby, while helping to prepare siblings for what the new baby will look like, what things they can do and how to hold the baby. The class is free.
- Breastfeeding Basics An introductory course, Breastfeeding Basics is a single class that provides information on positioning, frequency of feeding, common breastfeeding problems and solutions, as well as how to pump and store breast milk. The fee is $15.
- Baby Care Basics A one-time class, Baby Care Basics is designed to prepare you for the hands-on care of your newborn. The instruction centers on bathing, feeding, clothing, diapering and safety. Emphasis is also placed on the adjustment to parenting. The fee is $15.
- Infant & Child CPR Infant & Child CPR is a single class that covers the safety issues for infants and children, from newborn to the age of 12 years. Techniques for clearing airway obstructions and administering CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation) are presented. The fee is $25 per person for non-certification or $35 per person for CPR certification.
- Baby Touch Infant Massage One time class filled with valuable information to console a fussy baby, massage techniques provided, and much much more. The class is free.
- Dr. Harvey Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" This class will teach mothers, fathers, caregivers, and grandparents how to use 5 easy steps to calm a fussy baby, recognize signs of colic, and much more. This is one class that all new families should take. Class is taught by certified "Happy Baby Educators" Cost: FREE with option to purchase class materials.